About City Kitties: We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit, no-kill, volunteer-run rescue dedicated to helping stray cats in West Philadelphia and the surrounding areas. We are a financially stable organization with a strong community reputation for excellence in cat rescue. More information about our organization is available on our website: http://citykitties.org. Of particular relevance are our Core Values, available at: http://citykitties.org/about-city-kitties/our-core-values/.
Context: Since it’s founding, City Kitties has been run by a core group of volunteers. Louisa Alexander and Eli Green have collaboratively served as the board chairs, both of whom are moving on to other opportunities within the next six months. As an organization we are proactively planning for this transition. We are seeking board members (specifically a board president) to take over the central executive leadership for the organization.
Position: In collaboration with the Board of Directors, the President oversees all strategic, executive and operational responsibility executing City Kitties’ mission, which includes guidance of the collaborative leadership module. Over the next 4-6 months, the incoming President will work with the Board of Directors and the current leaders to ensure a smooth and timely transition. The President will initially develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and business plans, and after the transition period will take over the executive functions, including strategic planning and implementation in executing the organization’s mission. In large part, this position specifically oversees the organizational management functions – i.e. making sure that all of the administrative “moving parts” of City Kitties are being attended to, so that the other board members and volunteers can focus primarily on managing the services of City Kitties (e.g. intake/rescue, foster, adoption). This is truly a leadership position, and we are seeking someone with a vision for how City Kitties can run as an independent organization that is not dependent on any one volunteer. Note: this position does not require the ability to foster or adopt cats. Consistent access to and comfort with email is required.
Time: Based on the current leadership, we estimate that this position will take an average of 15 volunteer hours a month, with a higher level of commitment during the initial stages and transition. We are asking for a 2-year commitment, with the potential for longer.
- Maintaining a strong community presence and upholding City Kitties’ reputation for excellence, including acting within our Core Values
- Managing the executive functions of City Kitties, including compliance with the organizational by-laws, and all relevant local, state and federal regulations
- Ensuring consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommending timelines and resources needed to achieve our mission
- Actively engaging and energizing City Kitties board members, volunteers, forever homes, fosters homes, vet staff caring for our cats, the local community and other constituents
- Leading, coaching, developing, and retaining City Kitties’ high-performance volunteer group, including other board members
- Ensuring effective systems are in place to allow volunteers to efficiently accomplish their roles
- Regular evaluation of program components and regular reporting to the board about their successes. This includes communicating to funders, and other constituents as needed
- Overseeing local revenue generating and fundraising/friend-raising activities to support existing program operations, including our annual event
- Deepening and refining all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Responding to incoming requests for assistance, and community questions about the organization in a timely and respectful manner that is consistent with our Core Values
Qualifications: The President/Chair will be thoroughly committed to City Kitties’ mission. We are seeking candidates with proven leadership experience and dedication to animal rescue. Non-profit management experience is appreciated but not mandatory, likewise, experience with animal rescue is appreciated but not mandatory. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications may include:
- Demonstrated commitment to animal rescue work including experience fostering, transporting or otherwise volunteering with similar organizations
- Experience in a leadership role with other non-profit organizations, including demonstrated passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, and self-direction
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people, including experience effectively communicating about sensitive and/or emotional issues.
- Other leadership experience, including the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high performance teams, set and achieve strategic objective and develop/manage a budget
Compensation: As a volunteer-run non-profit organization that is sustained exclusively by donations, the leadership of City Kitties is committed to a financial model that allocates a majority of donations to providing for the cats in our care. The President/Chair position (like all others) is a volunteer position.
If you are interested in applying for this position please send a copy of your resume/CV (including the names and contact information of 2 references) and a letter of interest to email@example.com. Applications that are received by February 8th will receive priority consideration.