Foster for City Kitties
Thanks for your interest in becoming a foster home! Foster homes are the foundation of our organization. This critical service allows us to house cats and kittens while they wait for permanent homes — meaning we can save more lives. City Kitties provides support for our fabulous volunteer foster homes. We pay for 100% of veterinary care, answer your questions about health and behavior, and screen applications from potential adopters. You will make a great foster parent if:
- you are flexible, patient, and love animals!
- you live in the general vicinity of West Philly, South Philly, Center City, Fairmount/Brewerytown, or Northern Liberties/Fishtown. We need foster homes to be close to us, as well as our veterinarian and potential adopters.
- you are comfortable providing minor health care, with guidance from City Kitties (oral and topical medications, flea/tick preventatives, grooming, etc.) and to assist with follow-up vet visits for your foster animal.
- your pets are up-to-date on appropriate medical care, cats tested for FIV/FeLV, and spayed/neutered.
- your current cats live indoors at all times and your home is safe for cats/kittens (screens on all windows, kitten-proof where applicable, etc.).
- you are willing to provide food, litter, and basic living costs (City Kitties pays for 100% of medical care).
- you have regular access to a car (your own, a friend’s, or car share) — this is not required but very helpful.
- you are easy to get in touch with by email and phone and can respond quickly to schedule meetings with potential adopters.
- you can say goodbye to your adopted foster feline when they find a happy forever home, so that another life can be saved. We understand that sometimes foster parents just can’t bear to part with their foster animals, but we encourage volunteers to let them go — this means we can pull another homeless kitty from the streets or shelter.
- you can commit to at least a few months (preferably 6 months or more) as a volunteer. Foster cats remain in our care for as little as 2 weeks and as long as 2 years! We keep them for as long as it takes to find the right forever home. Though we occasionally need emergency/short-term foster placements, the longer you can provide a stable home for a formerly homeless feline, the better.
Please fill out the foster application below. If you have further questions, feel free to contact us with a question about fostering.