Thanks for your interest in adopting a furry companion! All of our cats and kittens are housed in individual foster homes (not a shelter), and the initial application must be approved prior to meeting individual foster cats. Here is what you can expect from the adoption process:
- You submit an online adoption application.
- Our Adoption Coordinator contacts you via email within a few days to let you know the application has been received.
- The Adoption Coordinator asks follow-up questions about your application, checks references, and discusses which cats/kittens might be a good match.
- If the application is approved, the Adoption Coordinator will put you in touch with the appropriate foster home(s) so you can schedule a time to meet the cats/kittens that interest you most.
- Once you meet the kitty (or kitties) you’d like to adopt, you let the foster parent and Adoption Coordinator know your choice.
- We bring the foster cat/kitten(s) to your home and conduct a home inspection to make sure your home is safe for a pet.
- Adoption contract and waiver are signed, adoption fee ($85 per animal) is paid, and we give you some information to help your new family member settle in.
If you have questions a week, a month, or a year after adoption, we’re here to help as best we can! If for some reason the adoption doesn’t work out, we ALWAYS take the cat/kitten back. However, we ask that you inform us within 2 weeks if you feel it’s not a good match so that we can be sure we have an available foster home to place the animal.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Where are you located?
All over the city! City Kitties houses cats in private foster homes in West Philly, Center City, Fairmount, and South Philly. We don’t have a shelter facility or central location.
- Can I meet a cat/kitten before I submit an application?
No. Because our cats/kittens are housed in private homes, we require an approved application before a visit can be arranged. That said, we are happy to give you lots of information about the cats and kittens in our care.
- Can I “try out” a cat/kitten in my home before I commit to adoption?
We require you to go through the adoption process and sign our adoption contract before we will leave an animal in your home, but we want to be sure the adoption is a good match. If for some reason the adoption doesn’t work out within 4 weeks, we will refund your adoption fee.
- Will you waive or reduce the adoption fee in a special situation?
No. We feel that $85 for a fully vetted and spayed/neutered animal is a bargain. And besides, we think our foster cats/kittens are worth much more than that! We want adopters to make a financial commitment to their new family members, and the $85 per animal adoption fee lets us know you’re serious about that commitment.